8/04/2009

about alms or begging

maangan maran samaan hai, mat maango koi bheekh
maagan se to maribo bhalaa, yeh hai satguru ki seekh
मांगन मरण सामान है, मत मांगो कोई भीख
मागन से तो मरिबो भला, यह है सतगुरु की सीख 

Poetic translation-
Begging is akin to dying, do not ask for alms
Tis better to die than beg, this is the view of the Satguru (Kabir)

My own interpretation-
Kabir says that to beg of another is to amount to killing your own self, for you lower yourself and kill the divine element within when you do so. Saying that he says to the listener that do not ask for alms. It is better to die than beg, for don't you kill your conscience when you ask for alms and choke your own Self? This is the teaching of the Satguru, meaning himself-Kabir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After leaving comments, kindly send me an email or notification, so I can respond to them. I have notifications turned off for most blogs, as I have nearly 16 of them- both on wordpress and blogspot.

Satguru mohae bhaavae

From my four CD Kabir album, called Kahe Kabir, this is one bhajan that I am now in a position to share. It was recorded when I was i...