7/29/2009

a doha i shared with hema



सावन  केरा  सेहरा, बूंद पड़ा आस्मां
साड़ी दुनिया विष्णव भाई, गुरु नहीं लगा कान 


saawan kaera sehra, bund paraa asmaan
saari duniya vaishnava bhayee, guru nahi lagaa kaan


Twice a day this little girl used to come  to my house (in 2009 for a few months, till August) to help me with the chores. Hearing me talk so much about Kabir, her own curiosity is roused now and she wishes to know better; and I am the happier for this. She borrowed a book from me- the Bijak and took it home. Then I asked her what she understood...

Instead, I proposed, why not I choose a doha for her everyday and she learn it and also understand the meaning of it everyday and then let me occasionally check how much you remembered? That way in a week she would learn seven dohae and in a month, at least 30?!

Doha is a couplet and Kabir's language is full of them, explaining simple things in simple ways succintly.
Starting out as we did in this rainy, monsoon season...this is the doha my eyes fell upon and i chose it for her to absorb and explained the meaning too. I roughly translate the meaning here, though I am unable to do a poetic translation myself.

Translation-
Rainy clouds have come and cluster around in the sky. Just like a groom wearing a sehra* looks so beautiful and majestic, so does this formation in the sky and then raindrops come pouring down. Similarly says Kabir, the world is suddenly full of so many teachers and preachers and the entire world is filled with folks who are vaishanavas (meaning devotees- technically, bhaktas of the Hindu god Vishnu). But they have yet to find the true master whose truth will reach them instantly, and free them of their ignorance.

3 comments:

  1. HOW ABOUT ONE DOHA EVERYDAY FOR ALL OF US TOO? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure dear...though finding that doha is always trickier for me. but though i get instant feedback from hema and keep revising her dohas, how will i monitor your progress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mehta.m.Rohit @gmail.com5/25/2015 4:53 PM

    I am a semi retired at 58. Suddenly I got interested in
    Kabir. Please do you know any person in CHENNAI,
    who can teach me and learn by the way Ektara.

    ReplyDelete

After leaving comments, kindly send me an email or notification, so I can respond to them. I have notifications turned off for most blogs, as I have nearly 16 of them- both on wordpress and blogspot.

Satguru mohae bhaavae

From my four CD Kabir album, called Kahe Kabir, this is one bhajan that I am now in a position to share. It was recorded when I was i...